Biometric Access control
Biometric reading is based on the personal and non-transferable character that each human being has associated in some of their physical traits or patterns. It is a very reliable and safe type of reading due to this difficulty of matching in two patterns.
It also provides a great advantage and comfort, as is the one that the "key" access is carried by the integrated person. This also implies that it cannot be stolen or lost, the key is also extremely economical (not the system of recognition of said "key") and against counterfeiting or duplication it will be extremely expensive.
Until recently, this access control system is used to be associated with access control to high security places, but today it is common to see biometric systems to access CPD centers, offices, or even for signing in the workplace.
Biometric Systems Techniques
The physical or behavioral traits that could be used to distinguish one human being from another are very diverse and varied. Many of these features are not currently applicable, because they do not have the reading technology that supports them.
Access control system types of biometric systems
- Facial Recognition A camera takes the image of a face, and measures the distances and proportions between the points that separate the inner and outer part of the eyes, the nose, and the mouth mainly. Although it reports the advantage of being able to archive a photo or video sequence along with the signing of the access made, it is a system with a too high failure rate (scars, glasses, cap, beard, etc.)
- Iris recognition. Reading with a high level of reliability and safety, the only inconvenience it poses is to be somewhat intrusive when having to have an eye scan.
- Retina recognition. System even more reliable than iris recognition as it is practically impossible to duplicate or deceive. However, it is even more expensive and intrusive, which is why it is not a common system.
- Fingerprint recognition. It is the oldest and most economical biometric system. It also has the advantage of being very comfortable to use. On the other hand, the fingerprint reading raises other important drawbacks: hygiene problem when contact exists, reading problem with dirty hands, it is relatively easy to copy a fingerprint and therefore deceive the system, it can also generate some suspicion in users for associating to the police environment. Despite these problems, it is the ideal access control system kit, for installations without a high need for security.
- Recognition Characteristics of the Hand. Technology based on measuring the shape of the perimeter of the hand. It shares the disadvantages of fingerprint reading, also adding a higher cost and lower reliability. This is due in part to a lower development of this technology, which makes it inadvisable for most applications.
- Recognition of the characteristics of the palm of the hand. This technology is applied to the reading of folds, fingerprints, wrinkles and other unique characteristics in each human being in the palm of the hand. System similar to fingerprint reading with the important advantage of being able to perform scanning without physical contact.